Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Camper conversion with so called "intelligent" charging; Where to hook up a B2B Charger?
Topic Started: Jun 6 2017, 07:59 PM (319 Views)
Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi all!

As you can see in my signature i'm driving a 2015 Hi-Matic which is being converted into a camper.
This van is equipped with a so called "intelligent" battery and generator. This means that the generator does not charge continuously. A standard relay as used in days gone by won't get the auxiliary battery charged anymore. (In fact it didn't really do so in the past ether.)

In my old Daily I had a Sterling B2B Charger installed which worked just fine. I have planned on using it in the new one to.
The question is where to connect it to. The new Daily has a spare connector with an 80 amp. fuse in the power distributor which is located in the engine compartment. Should I use this or better connect it directly to the battery under the driver seat causing the battery voltage to drop and having the battery sensor telling the generator to keep charging?

Any suggestions?

Regards
Chris

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I would connect directly to the battery...I'm sure it would work either way though as long as that 80 amp connector is permanently live.

I have a Ring B2B charger, model RSCDC30. Its a 30A intelligent battery to battery charger and also has solar MPPT controller built into it. I have 2 100w flexible panels on the roof and its normally trickle charging at about 8 amps, 10 on a bright sunny day.

Think its about 160-170. Mine did have a fault but it was replaced with no quibbles...it seemed to be stuck in bulk mode which meant it was overcharging the batteries on sunny days, the one seems to be working perfectly :) My only 'complaint' is the unit seems quite bulky, I've got mine tucked away in the garage as it is completely automatic, with a battery monitor visible in the camper. (Nasa BM2)

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Spooky_b329
Jun 7 2017, 07:23 AM
My only 'complaint' is the unit seems quite bulky, I've got mine tucked away in the garage as it is completely automatic, with a battery monitor visible in the camper. (Nasa BM2)
Hi Spooky,

if you consider the ring B2B charger bulky than you've never seen the Sterling charger. 😉
That Ring charger looks quite good considering the integrated MPPT unit.
I might even consider selling the Sterling on ebay and replacing it with a Ring charger.

Chris

Ranger11
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
The Stirling Model: BB1230 is designed for vehicles with smart alternators or regen braking.

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ranger11
Jun 11 2017, 09:04 PM
The Stirling Model: BB1230 is designed for vehicles with smart alternators or regen braking.
I've got the older BBC121250 from Sterling.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 2014 > Present · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.