Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sinking brake pedal :-O; Went to use brakes and pedal went to the floor
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 06:56 PM (251 Views)
T4r4
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi all - apologies for asking for help as a newbie :$
I have owned my lovely iveco 5610 for 11 years it is now a horsebox previous life I think was a royal mail van !
I had all my brake lines and cylinders, etc replaced about 2 years ago.
I was driving it home a few days ago when a dog ran out , I had to do an emergency stop...(dog is safe) all good, however about a mile further on went to stop at T junction and pedal hit the floor :'(
I got back by creeping along and using engine braking.
If I pump the pedal it comes back to normal for about a second and then goes to the floor again..
Any thoughts to make sure I don't get ripped off at the garage or I might try and fix myself...
Is it just air , is it the cylinder etc
Thanks a million
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

trance
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Could be air, but if it hasn't had any work done recently and you don't have any leaks I would suspect master cylinder/servo. Just replaced my servo/master cylinder (comes as one unit on mine) wirh same symptoms.
Not a cheap fix if it is.....sorry

T4r4
No Avatar
[ * ]
Thanks Trance - that's what I suspect....nothing ever seems reasonable price these days 🙄

Elja001
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi, firstly check if there is air inside, if is not then check the brake by presing it continuously about ten tymes when the whiecle is of and last tyme you press it don't relase it, turn on the engine and if the pedal remains still, this implies that the outside has penetrated into the vacuum plant that is not perfectly sealed, or the servo brake is faulty

Trevskoda
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have had same trouble with my 59/12 ,pedal goes soft but if i bleed of side front it regains full pedal for about 3 days then sinks again,always air in front caliper each time i bleed,working on cars for 40 years this has me wondering could the master cyl be sucking in air from rear.

JackVan
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
I wouldn't be surprised if after doing an emergency stop the master cylinder is shot. A mechanic I worked with once told me never to push the pedal to the floor on old vehicles when bleeding due to rust building up in the "unused" part of the cylinder. Once the seals touch it they're wrecked and pressure leaks past. If that's the case, don't try to rebuild it to save a few quid (as my younger self did), buy a new one. May explain the issue anyway...

Trevskoda
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have just priced a new cylinder,1037 from iveco ,i have also priced one from zep 600 plus vat,no mission im sure there are seals out there which will fit after giving the bore a we hone.

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Here is one on ebay, much cheaper, if you need the one with 4 bolts I will look for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Master-Cylinder-6763-LPR-0009989017-1409690-60738494-P09079-Quality-New/332235872703?fits=Car+Make%3AIveco%7CModel%3ADaily%7CCars+Type%3A59-12&hash=item4d5acd19bf:g:p5YAAOSw9OFZJyEF

Graeme

244t
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
These are a common part that's needed these days... try international brakes of Bolton... I got mine there a few years ago... they were able to identify it from the casting number..

Trevskoda
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks chaps for help regarding 59/12 master cyl,im now looking into this as i thought some one else uses the same cyl,cheers.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily / Turbodaily 1990 - 2000 (previously 2nd gen pre/post-facelift) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.