Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
new daily whats it like
Topic Started: Oct 17 2017, 05:25 PM (656 Views)
gaz2313
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
hi all been looking at the new daily i currently have a euro 4 35s130 with 250k miles on it still runs great its converted to a camper but it only has a train weight of 6300kg and i have just bought a new car transporter trailer big enough to take my old yank tank took it down to the local weigh bridge and the trailer with the car came in at 3340kg so cant legally tow the car and trailer with the van so been looking around and the price of the new vans dont seem bad as compared to some of the used ones
so i have decided to invest and go for a hi matic 35c140 to convert to a new camper ( they seem to be pushing the hymatics at the dealers at the moment ) will go for the biggest engine option i can afford LOL and what they call the international pack ( all the toys )
so as they have been out for a while now anyone any views on the new vans as a towing van and whats the new 8 speed box like
my current one is an agile death trap box
also it appears they no longer come with a spare wheel are the new vans the same stud pattern as the old ones as they have quoted a ridiculous price of 500 for a spare and under slung cradle i like a spare wheel ever since i curbed my car and took off the valve head and i was stuck from sat afternoon till monday morning when i could be recovered to a tyre place (france ) no amount of goo will fix that so a spare is a must these days
so any info appreciated on the new vans
regards gary
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Gary,

I've been driving a 35-170 Hi-Matic with the regional pack since Jan 2016. It's a camperconversion.
Befor I had a 3rd gen. 35S13 for 12 years.
The automatic and the 3l engine are surely one of the greates improvement compared to my 3rd gen model.
Also the suspension offers more comfort.
Even thow the new one is approx. 300kg heavier than than the 3rd gen the body sseems less sturdy.
With the C Model you might take a look at the actual weight if you are planning on a camper conversion.
In my eyes the only usefull option of the hioghway packkage is the bigger fuel tank.
I've heared nothing good about the navigation system.
Also you might compare the offered "luxury" suspension sets to the standard ones. Ok, I appreciate the suspension, but the seat it self is a lot less comfortable than the seats in my 3rd gen were.
The spare tyre below the chassis cost me just a little more than 100euros.
On the S models they used the same rear brakes as on the previous modles which means that the handbrake lever seizes up every half a year if you don't take care of it.
Also some lowbrainer in the engineering department placed the handbrake cable so close to the tyre that you can not mount snow chaines on the S models. But since you are going for the C Model you will not be facing this problem.
Since you will be using the total train weight I would definetly recommend the bigger 3 liter engine.
One othe negative point is the heater which does not have enough power to heat the complet van when having the separator behind the front seats removed.

If there are any more questions don't hesitate to ask them.

Chris

gaz2313
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
thanks for that chris the dealer is bringing me one to play with this afternoon the s model which he re recons he can do a good deal on as its there demonstrater i will take a look at the hand brake cable as i do carry a set of snow chains just in case when going over the mountains might be a bargaining point lol yes i would like the 170 or 180 but havent seen any in my budget as yet
did you do your own conversion i converted my current one on a small budget but plan to have the interior furniture custom made this time as my wood work skills are not the best but electrics lpg and plumbing are just up my street but i cant cut a piece of wood square even with a miter lol
gary

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi Gary,

here are two pictures showing the issue about the handbrake cable and the use of snow chains.
Recent Daily:
Posted Image

3rd gen. Daily:
Posted Image

The manual explicitly says that snow grips or similar are to be used instead of chains.
Spider or snow grip are hardly any use on a passenger car, so what use should they be on a 3,5to. van pulling a trailer through a foot of snow. :'(

gaz2313
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
good photos i see what you mean
the dealer brought me a 35s14 hymatic with the international pack in metallic blue today i had a look at that and i see what you mean
i ran it about for a while and worked the gearbox wow it does work i have run auto cars for a long time and this box is up there with the best
i was impressed so much i have just bought the van happy at getting the van sad at having to pay for it especially the vat part lol but did get them them to throw in a tow bar and spare wheel so thats a job for winter now converting it to a small camper so will be looking at the posts on here with camper conversions
thanks gary

turbopete
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
where I work we have a 2015 35s13 with the semi-auto 6 speed gearbox. to be honest, given the trouble it has been (and all the other Ivecos on the fleet too) if I wanted a van for the sub 3.5 tonne range, you would be hard pushed to give me a Daily FREE. so far we have had the gearbox rebuilt, a rear door replaced when the welds broke, a repair to the SAME rear door less than a year after it was replaced, currently its away getting an immobiliser fault fixed (the cause, we are told, is an ECU for the TOWBAR under the rear of the van, and the van doesn't have a towbar, it never will, and the dealers have REFUSED to remove the unit from the coding. they aren't saying they cant, they WONT!!!) the seats are a bit hard for my taste (I found the Transit much more comfortable and had a better general suspension set-up). the exhaust snapped and had to have a section replaced and its only done about 43,000 miles. and don't get me started on having to have the brake pad wear indicator reset on a diagnostic tool when the sensors are replaced (we just don't bother with the sensors anymore)

I certainly wouldn't spend my money on one. in fact for what we use our vehicles for at work I'm trying to get them to buy anything BUT Ivecos. ours have all been trouble (particularly this one, the 13 plate one and the 59 plate one, the older 54 and 05 plate ones weren't much trouble at all) and whilst I realise that ANY brand/product can have its common issues, we really don't want the types of issues we are getting currently.

I also have a friend who works for a different company (much larger and involved in delivering electrical items to homes) who run a fleet of various sized Ivecos (and a couple of MAN 7.5 tonne wagons and a couple of Transits, something like 38 Ivecos at their depot) and the Ivecos have an issue on at least one vehicle on a WEEKLY basis (often 2 or 3 a week) whereas the MANs and Fords have been faultless since they joined the fleet. so its not just my workplace having issues with them.

I'm guessing this wont be a help to the OP now as the thread is a few months old, but hopefully it will be of some use to others.

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
turbopete
Feb 6 2018, 10:54 PM
where I work we have a 2015 35s13 with the semi-auto 6 speed gearbox...
The thread opener asked about the recent Daily. Since you mention the semi-automatic gearbox aka agile, youre talking about the previous model since the recent one has the 8-speed hi-matic.

Chris

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 2014 > Present · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.