Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wheel clearances / max wheel circumferance on a MK3
Topic Started: Dec 2 2017, 09:07 AM (194 Views)
top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Good morning ,

My bus needs new boots. - currently have 5 different brands and tread patterns across all 4 corners and the spare.

I have uprated the brakes and hubs and wheels on mine to the 16" wheels off the mk4 daily (which was a straight swap if anyones looking - the servos the same and wishbones are the same, just need calipers/carriers / disks /hubs. Van stops much better now thanks to the bigger vented disk and even rides better through bumps now its not on caster wheels.

going by spookys posts he has run 225/75r16s on his mk4 without an issue - are the clearances the same on the MK3

Id like to run some BFG all terrains as the van finds its self in the mud a lot with my hobbies

i only ask as with the stock 225/65r16s on when turning left on hard lock and going down a hill it sounds like i get contact underneath with the wheel arch..... now thats probably down to the fact the drivers side has had its cab mount done and the left hasnt but we are talking an extra half inch of clearance when the cab mount is done.

concerned im going to drop a wedge on tires and be left with soemthing that doesnt fit.

Has anyone fitted 225/75/r16s to a mk3 ? or can anyone confirm that the body work on the mk4 is the same ie its just a facelift ?
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_20171202_101231.jpg (71.23 KB)
Edited by top drive, Dec 2 2017, 09:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
doing more research today

it seems that 225/75/r15 and 225/65/r16 are the same diameter so going to bigger wheels i have not actually increased the diameter from the original wheels.

so its only 0.4inches over the tires on there right now i think i will take a punt and if it only catches at full lock with all the weight down on that side - ill have at it with the grinder to remove what its hitting on - it can only be wheel arch.

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wow thats scenic view, where is it? cant really say about the tyres but a lump hammer is usefull for clearance issues.......
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
ha its the start of the loch Bulig path on the Gairnshiel road between deeside and don side in up in aberdeenshire.

Yeah ive made wheel well space before with a rotary spanner and a hammer was looking to avoid it :(

TBH if its only at full compression and when on hard lock left we could assume A. It will be low speed and B. go slower. C. Live with it.

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thought I recognised it(????) Ha, thats a real beautifull neck of the woods thats for sure, I was in London with work yesterday and I know which I would prefer ! bit colder maybes but just add more layers eh. good luck and enjoy.Joe
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
pah london .

im in Luanda , Angola at the moment .... ill take london anyday :D

never mind 2 weeks and ill be back in the van :D

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
On my newer model, the tight spot is the front of the wheel well, the tyre (when new) just touched the front splash liner. It passed the MOT but if it ever becomes an issue, I'll either add a fixing to the liner to put it out of the way, or cut a window in it and then fibreglass back over it to give a few mm's more space :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 1999-2006 (previously 3rd gen) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.