Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1998 TurboDaily 2.8TD not revving over 2500 rpm; Power loss and max revs at 2500.
Topic Started: Dec 6 2017, 08:32 PM (286 Views)
Galizian
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi guys!

First of all, thank you to everybody that contributes and runs this forum, I am learning a lot about my new vehicle!

So here is the thing, I purchased my LWB TurboDaily 2.8 TD converted camper van a couple of months ago. The van didn't have any mechanical issues whatsoever and she pulled very nicely, even though it weighs around 3 tons with all the living equipment inside. We went for a trip from the UK to Spain and after refuelling in a petrol station before leaving our town, the engine wasn't able to rev above 2200/2500 rpm. It could go just fine under the green mark on the tachometer but once it touches the green zone, the engine became ratty and sluggish with a considerable lack of power. It could keep up in the flats and downhills but when it was time to go uphill, I had to downshift to sometimes 3rd gear making quite dangerous the fact of being in motorway. We stopped in a service area to add some diesel engine cleaner to see if that helps but it wasn't any available. My surprise was, when I jumped in the cabin again and started driving her, she had her power back again and she was pulling perfectly! O_o

The van worked perfectly during the whole day and the morning of the next day. Then we arrived to France (where I am now typing this in a desperate quest for help haha) and the van was working perfectly until we stopped to refuel when the symptoms appeared again. The van will suffer to go up the hills and to keep the speed over 50 mph in the motorway as it can't rev over 22/25. However, and this is the strange part, if the van is stopped, the engine will rev all the way up as it should but if the van is moving it won't rev properly, even if I depress the clutch and floor the gas pedal... I can hear the turbo working, there is not abnormal smoke or leaks under the van. No warning lights in the dash either...

Does my van has limp mode? What do you guys think that might be happening? I appreciate very much any help or advise.

Thank you so much! :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
First thing I would do is change the fuel filter. There is no ECU so no limp mode.

Graeme

Galizian
No Avatar
[ * ]
Thanks Graeme! I will try to purchase one in Paris tomorrow (wish me luck with that haha)!

Where is the fuel filter located?

Thanks for your time! :)

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Has it had the filters changed recently? Fuel, Air, Oil? Difficult to diagnose over the net. Have you got breakdown cover? It could be air getting into the system from a cracked fuel pipe. Although this normally would show all the time. The fuel filter is on the right as you look at the engine from the front. Download the manual from the documentation section and familiarise yourself with the basics. After changing the filter you will have to bleed the system there will be a hand pump somewhere. Either a lever on the lift pump or a plunger type pump close to the filter.....difficult to explain over the net! it should be in the manual and will depend on the model. Look up bleeding the fuel system in the manual. As far as I know a blocked fuel filter could cause it to rev freely until under load ie uphill. fuel filters are cheap buy two so you have a spare.

Graeme

Galizian
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi Graeme!

Thank you very much for your replies, we really appreciate it!

I've changed the oil and the oil filter before we left. I've found an Iveco dealership just 20 minutes away from the campsite we are staying, how lucky is that?! I will buy one tomorrow and also an air filter to improve the air intake too. I will post the results tomorrow when everything is done so if someone has this same problem, they can come to this post and find your very helpful answers.

Fingers and toes closed for this to get sorted tomorrow!

Again, thank you so much Graeme! :D :D

Bazil-S
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi,

It could be the filling cap from the tank. It looks like the defect appears after refueling. The filler cap should have a vent valve, or something.
It is also possible to be a foreign object in the tank that can obturate the absorption pipe.

Galizian
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi guys! All sorted! It was the fuel filter! It was absolutely minging! Thank you all very much for your replies! :D

Already in Spain enjoying the rain haha! ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily / Turbodaily 1990 - 2000 (previously 2nd gen pre/post-facelift) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.