Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1996 2.5 turbo - engine won't switch off; KSB (Cold Injection Advance Automatic Device ?
Topic Started: Jan 9 2018, 08:57 PM (263 Views)
shamrock
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi y'all,
would appreciate some advice about how to diagnose and repair this fault. The engine won't switch off with the key and I have to stall it. This began about a year ago and got progressively worse and now needs to be stalled every time. Reading other threads suggests that the problem arises from a faulty KSB (Cold Injections Advance Automatic Device as the manual calls it on p.109)See attached photo. However, I'm not certain that's the culprit because with the engine running when I remove the key and manually push the Control Lever the engine still doesn't switch off. I connected the solenoid directly to the positive terminal of the battery but it didn't respond so it does seem like it's not working. Should the engine switch off when I push back that lever or is some other fault causing the problem?
If the KSB is faulty how on earth does one remove it as, given its very restricted location, it seem like an impossible task.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: KSB1.jpg (177.05 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
definately not the ksb. It is probably the fuel cut off soloniod on the injection pump. You may have the special spanner in the tool kit to remove it Download the manual and the user manual from the documentation section and you will find out how to do it. When you turn off the ignition you cut power to the soloniod and this shuts off the fuel and stops the engine.

Page 63 in the handbook....it does say if it is faulty the vehicle will not start. I think it can stop it from stopping as well. someone else may disagree.

I think this part fits but check as I cannot be sure

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-0330001040-Pushing-Electromagnet/232598332673?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3D8b90d186fd6a428c871754fcf13d7457%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D232238650774&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Graeme
Edited by graysworld, Jan 9 2018, 09:46 PM.

shamrock
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi Graeme,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had my suspicions that the KSB wasn't the guilty part. I couldn't see the other solenoid but found it now and it's just as, or even more, inaccessible that the KSB. It seems like it will be a big job, possibly requiring removal of the injection pump to get at it - something I don't fancy taking on myself unless someone can tell me that it's not as difficult as it looks and can give me some pointers.

Sean

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
grahams spot on with that.

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
You should just need a right angle spanner. It would be more difficult to take off the pump. Also you will then have to time up the pump which is difficult with the engine in!

I would buy a spanner or try to get a deep socket to fit I can let you know the size at the weekend

Graeme

shamrock
No Avatar
[ * ]
This looks like a impossible task but obviously it's not as some of you have done this before. There is zero chance of getting a socket on the solenoid as there's a plug or valve of some sort right above it. I can't even see it from top and only barely managed to slide my phone down there to capture a photo (attached). Fortunately, I recently built an inspection pit which allows me get a view from down under and reach up to feel it but I don't know how I will get a spanner of any kind on there or how I will lever it in such a tight space. I'm also wondering if the spring under the solenoid will make it difficult seating a new one if I manage to get this one out. Info on the correct spanner size would be a great help.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Solenoid.jpg (157.39 KB)

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]

I am lucky to have the original tool kit! spanner is a right angle 24mm but it is also bent with a 14mm hex on the other end connnect to this with a 14mm box spanner. I have tried to find the part number with no luck maybe someone else can find it,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Graeme

shamrock
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hey Graeme, that's a really helpful picture, shows exactly what I need. I just wonder how many spanner I'll destroy before I fashion something close to that ...should be fun. Thanks so much for your help. Will keep you posted.

Sean

graysworld
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
You're welcome. if you need measurements let me know...might take me a couple of days

Crowfoot wrenches are available

http://www.uktools.com/crowfoot-wrench-24mm-p-54637.html

Graeme
Edited by graysworld, Jan 15 2018, 07:25 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily / Turbodaily 1990 - 2000 (previously 2nd gen pre/post-facelift) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.