Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MOT failure Rear axle hitting bump stop; 2005 35S12
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 01:51 PM (360 Views)
powerful_reason
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hello all. This forum has been gold since I bought my 35S12 for a camper conversion last year...this is my first post. Already replaced the rear axle as it was gone and just taken it for its first MOT (with me anyway). It failed due to hitting the rear bumper stops. (My build is not heavy). Paid 300 quid for some heavy duty leaf springs and my mechanic says they are making the problem worse as the axle sits on top of the leaf springs so the extra leaf is pushing the axle even closer to bump stops!

Is it a difficult job to sit rear axle under the leaf springs? Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

powerful_reason
No Avatar
[ * ]
Ok so it appears there was a slight miscommunication somewhere and I may have received the leaf spring variation that sits on top of the axle...replacements on the way! Apparently the correct variation of heavy duty springs have a steeper curvature enabling axle to move away from bump stops

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
They often run very close to the bumpstops, its not a traditional bump stop but a 'hollow rubber spring' that apparently is designed to contact the axle regularly. I'm not sure on the technical detail but it may be the MOT tester was wrong to fail it.

Apart from worn springs, worn bushes on the spring hangers can also reduce the clearance between the axle and bumpstops.
Edited by Spooky_b329, Feb 12 2018, 08:07 PM.

Cloverdale
Member Avatar
Cloverdale
[ *  * ]
Just out of interest I recently read a US blog site for Sprinter enthusiasts where a comment was made that you can reduce cornering body roll by changing these 'bump stops' for stiffer ones. These inter-state courier people reported it makes a major improvement to the handling. They talked about Timbren units.

So, I thought I'd enquire about making a change to my 35S13 using Timbren Aeon units. I sent Timbren Australia a photo to which they said the van was probably already fitted with their components, but they recommended changing them to a stiffer rubber compound.

Incidentally, the photo also clearly showed the axle in contact with the bump stops, but note the van was 90% fully laden.

To size up the job I needed to measure the height of axle to chassis rail, then using my actual axle weights they would determine the best model / rubber compound. It would be LONGER than the dimension I'd taken and raise the body height by about 10mm. This means when static they would ALWAYS be in contact with the axle, so let your inspector know it's normal for these vehicles.

Good luck

Alan L

top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
out of curiousity (as when my tire fitter who was an apprentice at iveco took my rear wheel off he said "jesus those springs are nearly inside out" )

what distance would an unladen van have between the spring and the bump stop ?

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
I think you will find the replacement springs work wonders and you shouldnt have any more problems.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I fitted the timbren hollow springs, slightly larger than the standard ones Iveco fit. Improved ride height but the suspension was quite firm. They also improved the wobbly handling but I later realised they were just disguising the worn anti roll bar bushes!

powerful_reason
No Avatar
[ * ]
Well the saga continues....correct leaf springs fitted and still touching bump stops so need to go pick up the van and work out what to do. I will look into Timbren which I came across on here on another thread also. Many thanks for replies.
Cloverdale
Feb 13 2018, 07:14 AM
Just out of interest I recently read a US blog site for Sprinter enthusiasts where a comment was made that you can reduce cornering body roll by changing these 'bump stops' for stiffer ones. These inter-state courier people reported it makes a major improvement to the handling. They talked about Timbren units.

So, I thought I'd enquire about making a change to my 35S13 using Timbren Aeon units. I sent Timbren Australia a photo to which they said the van was probably already fitted with their components, but they recommended changing them to a stiffer rubber compound.

Incidentally, the photo also clearly showed the axle in contact with the bump stops, but note the van was 90% fully laden.

To size up the job I needed to measure the height of axle to chassis rail, then using my actual axle weights they would determine the best model / rubber compound. It would be LONGER than the dimension I'd taken and raise the body height by about 10mm. This means when static they would ALWAYS be in contact with the axle, so let your inspector know it's normal for these vehicles.

Good luck

Alan L
Based on your suggestions I may just have a chat with an alternative MOT tester and hope for the best. Just contacted midland road springs who agree that the vehicle is designed to sit on the 'bump stops' and suggested just to cut them down slightly

powerful_reason
No Avatar
[ * ]
Just chopped the bump stops in half and bingo 3 inches of clearance and MOT certificate in hand! I recommend anyone do this measure first before spending on parts like I did. Thanks everyone for help
Must add that the heavy duty springs feel much less bouncy and van more planted on the road. A worthwhile mod

top drive
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
i have to ask , have you been over a weighbridge to see what you weigh ? cant help but think somethings not right, i know that even when i am heavy im still not on the bump stops - with standard springs... im close but im not on - when static.

when you say more planting , it doesnt feel jarring ? im tempted by HD springs as i know mines are well worn but i dont want it riding like my land rover does which is crashy - but then i guess the fact i have pretty much half a tonne of perminantly mounted conversion this is unlikely .....

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
You state you cut the bump stops in half and now have 3" clearance ? that means your bump stops were 6" to start with ????

powerful_reason
No Avatar
[ * ]
top drive
Feb 16 2018, 11:23 AM
i have to ask , have you been over a weighbridge to see what you weigh ? cant help but think somethings not right, i know that even when i am heavy im still not on the bump stops - with standard springs... im close but im not on - when static.

when you say more planting , it doesnt feel jarring ? im tempted by HD springs as i know mines are well worn but i dont want it riding like my land rover does which is crashy - but then i guess the fact i have pretty much half a tonne of perminantly mounted conversion this is unlikely .....
1750 kg at rear axle but this weight was taken on rollers which I'm told is not the most accurate. Yeh it's less trashy and more refined ride I guess
ivecojoe
Feb 16 2018, 04:27 PM
You state you cut the bump stops in half and now have 3" clearance ? that means your bump stops were 6" to start with ????
Not far off 6 inch. Attached is photo of the ones on my vehicle
Attached to this post:
Attachments: s_l300.jpg (5.4 KB)

ivecojoe
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
they arent original ,I think you will find the are aftrmarket,maybe by aeon,no wonder there was no clearance!!bump stops are normally about 2 to2 1/2" tall roughly

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi!

On my formerly 2002 Model 35S13 which had the axle above the springs the Van also always sat on the rubber bump stops. They where round, looking like this.
Posted Image
Later Models I saw had the axle mounted below the spring and also had about two inches between the axle and the rubber stop that was rectangular like this one:
Posted Image

I than replaced the rubber bumpers with an air suspension to raise the rear end up a bit.

Chris

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The OPs image looks like a standard Iveco bump stop (axle above spring) and from memory I'd say they are about 6" high.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 1999-2006 (previously 3rd gen) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.