Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Minibus to camper van?; Pro's and cons of conversion
Topic Started: Feb 25 2018, 11:14 AM (296 Views)
Simon Says
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi folks, new to the forum and first post.
I have a Mercedes Sprinter that I converted about 7 years ago but its showing its age now so it has to go soon.
I am looking to convert a Daily or Irisbus, a Daily because of the size but preferably a minibus because of the extras that come with them i.e. air conditioning, tracked seats etc. I want to make it a four bed with four travelling seats so the minibus seems to be the way to go.
I am thinking of something around an 08/09 model.
I like the idea of an electric step and door rather than the "whoose bang" of most panel vans.
I'm having a little trouble finding the dimensions of the Daily minibuses, can anyone point me in the right direction for information.
If anyone has converted or considered converting a fifth/sixth generation I would appreciate hearing their experiences.
I would also appreciate hearing about the typical faults of these models, recalls etc.
Lastly, if anyone in the Manchester area needs any help or advice about conversions generally I would be only to pleased to help.
Cheers.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AuldTam
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have a 2011 daily swb which was a 9 seater minibus, converted into a 2 berth campervan.
Good thing about daily is interior width, you can fit a bed across the van if your under 6ft tall. My swb has 10ft from behind front seats to back doors. Width is 6ft but narrows the higher you go but could still fit kids beds transverse. I have the medium roof model which is high enough for good overhead cupboards, though I havent fitted any.

The daily swb has similar space of a transit mwb. Mine came with retro fitted air con, diesel heater, led lights, reverse sensors and windows. I made up insulation boards to fit onto the windows for winter camping.

I had a swb Renault Master before this van, the master was a better drive but the extra space of a daily is worth it.

I mainly use it as a weekend camper for canoeing, perfect for me, wife and labrador.

Simon Says
No Avatar
[ * ]
Thanks for the info AuldTam. We use our lwb Sprinter for long trips in Europe, usually about 5 months at a time. I'm thinking of an Iveco 'cos of the transverse bed space, we have a fixed bed now but the restricted width in the Sprinter makes it feel a little cramped.

What are the height codes for Dailys? are the Iris bus as wide as the panel vans?

Cheers.

gaz2313
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
hi just done a new 2017 daily mwb its a bugger to work with lol i had a converted prison van before and liked it so thought i do a new one as i enjoyed doing the old one big differences with this that i didnt take into account before i started the conversion
first its narrower than the old one its 4 inch narrower at the top and bottom than in the middle it looks a nice van but then you realise that ther isnt a straight panel on it you cant get a 6 foot bed across the back anymore not if you want to put any insulation in and leave the origional metal work in place haveing done this conversion double bed table toilet shower wardrobe upright cupboards sink cooker with oven and grill 2 carver water heaters one for central heating waste and fresh tanks swivel pasenger chair and overhead lockers everything had to be custom fitted as there wasnt a straight line everythg was curved if you didnt want to lose the space top and bottom wont do a new one again lol the old prison van was ok as nearly every thing was flat

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
HI Gaz, I assume you are comparing a square bodied prison van to normal 2017 panel van?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Off Topic, Conversions and Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.