Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Come on then. Who has fitted a double din Head unit?
Topic Started: Mar 9 2018, 06:01 AM (754 Views)
audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Have looked and cannot find a kit. Cannot find any mention of one being fitted. Looking I also do not see many choices. Ive got a nice Kenwood which I would love to use which a reverse camera so would love to hear and see ideas on how we can fit a double din head unit.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jdavis200
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
If I was going to do this I would want to mount it horizontally (as the tape or CD transport systems always give trouble in vertical mounts like Iveco and Citroen).

I would find a double DIN housing, cut the dash top away above the central heater outlets, cut the profile of the housing so that it sits upside down on the dash, the stereo half inset into the original dash top - it wouldn't protrude up enough to interfere with visibility, but would look cool and be easy to use.

Are you brave enough to get that jigsaw out.......?

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I'd like to see someone attempt to fit the dashboard from a Renault Master to the Daily. From memory it has two DIN slots side by side and a big pocket above them.

I suspect the mounting points would be the same but the big question is the wiring loom.

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ive not got the van at home so its hard for me to go check but I do wonder if one would fit where the switches are. I only seem to have a odd square with wiggly line switch and the hazards so they could potentially be moved to top row or somewhere else.

I am not sure what is actually under the current stereo location (pull out cubby hole and speaker possibly?) but it could potentially have enough room (as standard stereo goes down) to cut and mount it in there compared with the top of the dash. Its certainly something I would attempt. I wouldnt bother cutting the dash though. Id be more annoyed about all the work involved to replace the dash if it didnt work where as other parts of the dash which can be removed can be changed fairly easily.

It ios a pain for me as not long had the van, driven it twice and its not at home but need it for a trip in May to Croatia and this is on the list of things to do. Ill get a weekend on it and just cut. :o

Id also agree the current vertical location is no good and it needs to be horizontal.
Edited by audiobull, Mar 11 2018, 08:26 AM.

jdavis200
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
It would probably be worth looking at a few scrappers in various states of undress to see where clearance exists - take a cardboard box about the right size to test it.

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Good idea. Way too busy at the moment to do that though so will have to get some plastics off mine at the weekend and get measuring. Ive got a double din unit already so half the battle is won. Now just the mounting. It will be going in its just a case of where.
My only day would be a Sunday due to current work commitments and scrappy opening times dont work with me :-(

PCB
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm not sure there would be space for a chunky double din stereo but this is what I did with mine.Posted Image

Like I said, the stereo would be more chunky than a flat screen. Just a thought though.

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
PCB thats where I would like to make it fit if possible but move it down and have the switches at the top.
I figured I could cut into the heater outlet and heater control panels if needs be. Fingers crossed there is room behind it.

Thank you for the picture it looks amazing and cannot wait to get infront of it and have a play on mine. ;)

jdavis200
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
And you can watch films while driving, as so many foreign lorry drivers do!

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Mines a pretty old Kenwood and does not play films etc :-( but I might buy the sat nav add on.

PCB
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
jdavis200
Mar 12 2018, 04:18 PM
And you can watch films while driving, as so many foreign lorry drivers do!
Obviously, I would never condone such behaviour :-D
audiobull
Mar 12 2018, 06:15 AM
PCB thats where I would like to make it fit if possible but move it down and have the switches at the top.
I figured I could cut into the heater outlet and heater control panels if needs be. Fingers crossed there is room behind it.

Thank you for the picture it looks amazing and cannot wait to get infront of it and have a play on mine. ;)
Yes, moving it down to the bottom and keeping the buttons at the top would give you a better chance. From memory, I don't think there's a massive amount of room in there. You need to get in there and see.
The faceplate on my head unit is just 5mm wider than the switch panel so do-able in that way. Just not sure you'll have the depth.
Good luck.
Paul

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Paul
I am on it Friday and Saturday so will have a rummage and update with findings. B)

audiobull
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ive ripped the heater out and I am fitting the stereo in there. I will then move the heater somewhere. Possibly down below where the old stereo was if I can make it fit.

jdavis200
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Brave man!

PCB
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Brave indeed. I'm interested to see the end result.
When you look at it, there's a lot of space taken up by heater controls and vents.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 1999-2006 (previously 3rd gen) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.