Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Battery light on; Battery light still showing after fitting new alternator
Topic Started: Jun 11 2018, 07:42 PM (220 Views)
Mamezjaw22
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi , I have got a 2014 iveco 35313 van which has the battery light on all the time. We tested the battery which is fine then checked the alternator. The alternator was not working correctly and not charging the system. We replaced the alternator and now see 13 to 14v charging dependant on which services I have switched on. Compared to 11v before. The light is still on Evan though everything is charging as it should. We have checked the fuses but can't see a dedicated one for the charging system is there anything I am missing. We also tested the plug on to alternator with 1 red wire had 2 v volts and I assume should have 12v to send the signal to the dash to turn the light off.
Many thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ivemech
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Was the alternator matched to the vehicle or a generic daily alternator? It needs to be a "smart alternator". There is a dedicated fuse for the starter and alternator on the battery compartment. Check the positive terminal on the starter is tight and clean. The wire goes battery- starter-alternator

The alternator is controlled by the engine ecu, the ecu will turn the alternator off and on as an when needed. The single small wire to the alternator is a communication line to the engine ecu and the voltage will change depending on what signal is being sent by both the alternator and engine ecu.
The engine ecu will then send a message over the can network telling the dash if the alternator is working or not.

When the alternator is charging the voltage will go up to 15v and as low as 12v.

Mamezjaw22
No Avatar
[ * ]
Hi thanks for the reply , problem solved. Turns out the single red wire in the plug had broken. Under the air box in the main conduit loom the wires had chafed and caused the red one to break causing no signal back to the dash or charging the system.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 2014 > Present · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.