Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help me fix my engine problems; Pretty please
Topic Started: Jan 31 2011, 09:34 AM (2,802 Views)
Andrew Marshallsay
No Avatar
[ * ]
Those Iveco owners on also on SBMCC will know my 2001 65C15 expired big style last week.

It is a camper, so it doesnít get driven often at this time of year, but it often gets started and shuffled around the yard etc.

But last Thursday, I got Ĺ a mile up the road, and had a loud knocking noise, like when you change a diesel filter, and it needs bleeding.
I pulled in, and let it idle for a bit, hoping it would bleed itself through.
But there was also a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. Got out, and took a look under the bonnet, and there was oil leaking from the area under the battery. So I called the recovery company.

Further investigation a couple of days later, and it wouldnít restart.

I looked for the oil leak, and there were only breather hoses in that area. So maybe the leak was caused by crankcase pressure, due to very rough running ?

I did an injector leak down test, and two injectors leaked different amounts to the other two.

So I whipped out all the injectors, No2 is fine, but the other three are nasty, with heavy carbon deposits, and some rust.

So my first question Ė any recommendations, who can supply me a good set of recon injectors ?

If it really is rust on the injectors, that leads me to think Iíve got water in the fuel. Apart from draining the tank and replacing the filter, are there any sedimenters etc that I need to look at ?

Assuming I did have a large amount of oil in the breather system, is there anything I should take off and flush ?

Sorry for all the Qís, but Iím stuck in the office, and I need to get this fixed quickly, as Iím squatting on a mates farm at the moment.

Andy

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

knighty
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
http://www.cheapivecoparts.com/

I've never used them before, but that place is supposed to be good, genuine parts at decent prices

do you have a proper iveco filter fitted ?

the iveco ones are supposed to have some sort of material in them which absorbs water and holds onto it, stopping it getting into the system

BUT..... water in your fuel won't cause the injectors to rust - not rust that you can see anyway.... any water inside the cylinders will instantly be vaporised off to super heated steam - race cars sometimes inject water mist into the air intake for extra power - and it can also be used to clean up the inside of the engine a bit (that's not the air intake, not mixed in the diesel)

drain the diesel and see what it looks like - it could be dirty ?

maybe the injectors need changing - but that doesn't mean that's the only problem...

how much oil was in the air intake ?

check the hose leading to the turbo, the one coming out and going to the inter cooler and the inter cooler itself - it could be a problem with the turbo, which could spill oil into the air intake causing all the smoke you saw.

it could be... pretty much anything, you'll have to have a look/poke around and see what's going on and then post back ?

Andrew Marshallsay
No Avatar
[ * ]
Well I drained the diesel tank, fitted a new diesel filter, and fitted a rebuilt set of injectors.
I also changed the engine oil and filter for good measure.

The engine was really difficult to start, so I managed to burn out the starter motor too :(

With a new starter, I managed eventually to get it going.

The engine was knocking quite badly at the top end.

When I eventually managed to get the revs up to 1500, the clouds of white acrid smoke started, along with the oil leak.

There was a lot of pressure coming from the engine breather, which exits in front of the N/S/F wheel, along with the oil.

I figure it has to be the head gasket or worse, but I've found a 2nd hand engine on eBay which I'll put in.

I will eventually pop the head for a diagnosis.

Any hints and tips for pulling an engine ? Iveco specific, as I've done a few others in the past.

Does the front panel, that holds the headlights unbolt ?
Does it really need to ? I've got a fork-lift at my disposal for the lift, so lifting the engine should be an issue.

Andy

Andrew Marshallsay
No Avatar
[ * ]
Seems the jerry can of fuel I had, that went into the tank was petrol :-/

It burned the edges from No2 piston.

A 2nd hand engine is going in as we speak.

Andy

dpsservices
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andrew Marshallsay
Mar 10 2011, 02:28 PM
Seems the jerry can of fuel I had, that went into the tank was petrol :-/

It burned the edges from No2 piston.

A 2nd hand engine is going in as we speak.

Andy

ouucccchhh costly mistake feel for you

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 1999-2006 (previously 3rd gen) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.