Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to ivecoforums.com, a discussion forum for Iveco Daily troubleshooting, fault finding, and advice. Among our members are experienced commercial and DIY mechanics, and we have various how-to and troubleshooting guides freely available to members! Iveco parts suppliers and ebay sellers are welcome to promote themselves in the tradespace forums near the bottom of the page.

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections such as free workshop manuals, classifieds and supplier discounts. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
advice on getting rear caliper self adjusters to self adjust..!?!?
Topic Started: Jan 24 2012, 06:56 PM (2,995 Views)
strat1
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
hi,

i just fitted new rear calipers to my 35S12, single rear wheels, single piston calipers no abs as far as i know (?hope not, is it?)

works well, sort of, all done the way i'd normally do calipers, i let them bleed by gravity until the fluid came through then a few up/down instructions to a helper on the pedal with me at the caliper.

do you have to bleed the proportioning valve too? the hoses were well plugged while the calipers were off.

on the old calipers if i ever pee'd about with the handbrake levers they would self adjust to two/three clicks on the handbrake lever. these ones it's more like five.

pedal - first pump while driving, it goes way down, second pump BANG! full brakes. hmmm...

might be a little more air in it that will settle (move up to the nipple) over night but it seems like the self adjusters have not started self adjusting, yet.

any ideas on that one? i tried pulling the handbrake lever about fifty times and drove around doing various braking maneuvers, same thing, first pump, not much, second pump full brakes. it's not like it's the vacuum in the servo being broken by the first pump, it's more like the caliper pistons have a longggg way to move.

many thanks for any info! :'(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snap-on
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
bit late on the reply but I have just done one of mine today..was a pig of a job but maybe that was my bad luck
Take this info with a pinch of salt as I dont know if its correct as i could not find any info on doing it before taking the job on

i found the same problem which is it would not self adjust out and stay out which left to much play between the piston and pads when pressing the brake, bled it this way and that way and still the same, this meant way to much movement on the handbrake lever to get the handbrake to engage, so the way i got around it was to remove the caliper and prove to myself it did self adjust..was thinking faulty caliper in the back of my mind..it did work ok! but seemed to need move out a fair way before it stayed there...
with the caliper still off i wound the piston back in and then pumped it back out again about 1/2 inch or so then kept offering it up to the pads on the caliper and disc winding back the piston half a turn each time until it just fitted back in position nice and tight over the pads, this done the job for me brake pedal had a little to much travel and felt a bit soft but the handbrake engaged ok and after a 11 mile drive home and a few test quick pull ups the last 500 yards the pedal went nice and solid as it was before the caliper change..doing hard pedal presses done nothing for the whole 11 miles until the last road home!
im not saying this is the correct way to do it but it was the only way i could figure out how to get it to work for me..COPY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · 3rd Gen (1999-2006) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

Iveco Daily 35s12 35c12 50c13 65c15 65c18 Massif Cargo 1011 0811 813 Eurotech Eurocargo 75e14 75e15 75e17 Stralis 100e15 130e18 Tector Trakker Eurotronic Fault Codes Error Codes Wiring Diagram Technical Advice EDC Overheating RCF Renault Mascot Optare Alero