Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Coolant pressure sensor check!; Is your EDC at risk?
Topic Started: Jun 20 2012, 07:53 PM (21,140 Views)
Bazil-S
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hello all,

Unfortunately I come with this warning, after one of our members had a wretched case (I'm terribly sorry).
Vehicles involved are those with 3.0L and 2.3L engines - VGT turbine from the fourth generation, manufactured until March 2007. It is also possible to be involved the vehicles produced in 2005-2006 from the third generation.

On the coolant expansion tank was added a pressure sensor to protect the engine against overheating due to cooling circuit failure.
Sensors membrane was not compatible with the coolant and it leads to perforation. Coolant penetrates the sensor, then goes through wires and reach the connector at the EDC, where creates oxide, then short circuit. The effect is devastating, EDC breaks down and the related connector melts.
To prevent this check the sensor part number.
The improved (corrective) sensor has the part number: 69502214, aprox 20 pounds.

The credit of this topic belongs to Derbywill, also the topic is open for those who have more information.

Posted Image

Sensor location.

This topic has a twin in the 3rd Gen (1999-2006)

http://ivecoforums.com/topic/8823622/1/#new
Edited by Bazil-S, Mar 25 2017, 04:19 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Forester
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Will check as a matter of urgency tomorrow - having read derbywill's post, really urgently!

My 35S12 is May 2007, so perhaps borderline...

Thanks Bazil - You're the Man!

:)

Sudesh
Member Avatar
35s18
[ *  * ]
My 3.0 is 2008, sowill this be ok?

I will check the sensor first thing tomorrow, I assume there is a visible part number on the sensor?

Thanks for the post and advise on the matter.

Derbywill
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Unfortuanatly I don't think it was ever a recall ether so it's up to you to check the part number on the sensor. I think the first sign of the switch breaking down was when the vehicle was connected to a easy and it had a coolent pressure switch fault, But this error it not seem serious enough to put the EDC light on! It just sits there presant in the memory!
I've changed a few ECU's for this fault and loom connector+pins let me tell you they are a fidderly job!

Will

Sudesh
Member Avatar
35s18
[ *  * ]
Just checked mine and it has the 69502214 part number, so happy with that!

Forester
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just checked my header today and guess what - no sensor at all!

Unless they've moved it...

This is a pic of my header tank.

The van is 2007 35S12 LWB.

Don't know whether to be glad or sad!

Did they remove the sensor from the post-March 2006 models all together? As far as I know, my van was produced in May 2006.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IvecoHeaderTank.jpg (101.89 KB)

Sudesh
Member Avatar
35s18
[ *  * ]
Forester
Jun 23 2012, 10:49 PM
Just checked my header today and guess what - no sensor at all!

Unless they've moved it...

This is a pic of my header tank.

The van is 2007 35S12 LWB.

Don't know whether to be glad or sad!

Did they remove the sensor from the post-March 2006 models all together? As far as I know, my van was produced in May 2006.

My van is 2008 and has the sensor, but it is the new upgrade one.

the guys mentioned the problem is specific to 3.0 and 2.3 engines, what engine size is yours?
Edited by Sudesh, Jun 24 2012, 09:58 AM.

Bazil-S
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Forester

Hi,

2.3 - 3.0 engine with VGT turbine. So 140 hp 2.3L engines (29/35X14)

Forester
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Phew - no worries then!

Thanks Bazil!

:D

Sbdownes
No Avatar
[ * ]
I now have the modified sensor fitted unfortunately to late it's very important that you check as this nearly cost me a new edc unit

Sbdownes
No Avatar
[ * ]
Price of new ecu is 740 then a code card at 140 then 90 to programme then if you haven't got your original code for your van a further 240 for you iveco dealer to ask iveco for the said code all plus vat now are we getting ripped off I think so so check that sensor before its too late

bobrendrag
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Bazil-S
Jun 20 2012, 07:53 PM
Hello all,

Unfortunately I come with this warning, after one of our members had a wretched case (I'm terribly sorry).
Vehicles involved are those with 3.0L and 2.3L engines - VGT turbine from the fourth generation, manufactured until March 2007. It is also possible to be involved the vehicles produced in 2005-2006 from the third generation.

On the coolant expansion tank was added a pressure sensor to protect the engine against overheating due to cooling circuit failure.
Sensors membrane was not compatible with the coolant and it leads to perforation. Coolant penetrates the sensor, then goes through wires and reach the connector at the EDC, where creates oxide, then short circuit. The effect is devastating, EDC breaks down and the related connector melts.
To prevent this check the sensor part number.
The improved (corrective) sensor has the part number: 69502214, aprox 20 pounds.

The credit of this topic belongs to Derbywill, also the topic is open for those who have more information.

Posted Image

Sensor location.

This topic has a twin in the 3rd Gen (1999-2006)

http://ivecoforums.com/topic/8823622/1/#new
Hi,Can you tell me were the parts number is on the censor???Please.

OneillMartin
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Mine does not have that, is that an issue?

AMquadracing
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
My July 2006 3rd gen 50c14 (3.0Ltr) has a sensor with the number 504181087 on it. Should I replace it with the newer number or does it only concern models with vgt turbo?

Thanks

Bazil-S
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi,

Yes you should! It involves all the vehicles which have this sensor.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 2006-2014 (previously 4th & 5th gen forums) · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.