Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
cheapivecoparts.co.uk

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Snow Chains
Topic Started: Jan 16 2016, 10:26 AM (1,757 Views)
Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi all together,

due to the fact I live in a higher region where I need snow chains every now and then I was going to get new chains for my new Daily.
Luckily I first had a look into the manual.
There it says that only spider type of chains are to be used.
As this type of chains is already not too much use on a passenger car I took a look under the Iveco to see about the reason for this limitation.
It was then quite obvious what the reason is.
Some lowbrainer in the Iveco engineering department actually designed the rear axle so that the handbrake cable just runs barely one cm along the tire which of course leaves no more space for any kind of chain.
On the old model there was a good 25cm of space.
Simply using wheels with a little different offset would have solved the problem since there is more than enough space left.

Has any other owner of a 2014 Daily come across this problem yet?

Regards
Chris

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OLD MAN
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
sorry cant help with chain problem,but how have you found the new truck build quality .Sorry to change subject but i have been looking at one and they have changed it so much wondered if you had any knock or scrapes and how it stood up? cheers

Goingbush
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
sounds like you need some rotorgrips

https://youtu.be/IPd3O5_SJEs

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
OLD MAN
Jan 16 2016, 01:27 PM
sorry cant help with chain problem,but how have you found the new truck build quality .Sorry to change subject but i have been looking at one and they have changed it so much wondered if you had any knock or scrapes and how it stood up? cheers
Hi old man,

in the last two week I haven't had much time to take a closer look to the van.
What I can say is that it lays on the road much better than my old 2002 model.
At the first glance inside the major changes have only been made to the driver cabin. The loading compartment hasn't changed any.
Definitely the heater has less power in the new model.
When checking about the snow chain issue I found that they seem to have used the same rear brake calipers, which means that I'm expecting them to have the same problem with seizing up of the shaft for the handbrake leverage.
Other than that I didn't see much what looked really new except for the exhaust pipe which finally doesn't end below the car anymore.
When it get's a little warmer (at the time we've got -10C) I will be taking a closer look at it.

Regards
Chris

OLD MAN
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thats cold where are you?
Is the snow stopping you driving without chains.

OLD MAN
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
i have spotted some snow chains under usefull links,
scroll down to iveco accessories ,
click on livelifes link
scroll down to blue van and on the list it says snow chains
they are for gen 5 which like my gen 4 have brake cable like you said 25mm away from tyre
hope this helps

johnr
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
have you considered snow socks instead of chains? easier to fit and remove than chains and i found on the car i used them on that they work incredibly well. i think the aa and rac issue them to all their breakdown van drivers.

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi John,

those Snow Socks may be OK on a ploughed road, where a Daily with enough payload on the rear axle will hardly loose traction.
On my way home I have drive up a 12% step road where usually only very few passenger cars make it up. Frontwheel driven cars usually have to turn around after a few hundred meters, especially if they are forced to stop by some dumbbell who will only realize that the has no chance after the car is stuck in the middle of the road so that no one can get by any more. Driving the Daily up that hill has never been any kind of problem, unless however the road was blocked as mentioned above.

The occasion where I normaly need chains is pulling a trailer up a hill in the black forest with 20cm or more snow on the road. The road is only serviced by the snow plough during the day but not at night when I get there. In snowdrifts it can be easily be knee deep.
Under these circumstances I don't really trust those socks to be much use.
Here's a picture of the 3rd gen Daily:
Posted Image

And here's what it looks like on the recent Daily:

Posted Image

Both measurement where taken on the widest position of the tyre wall.

I sent the dealer a mail about this matter, since I meanwhile know of two other owners of a new Daily who have this problem.
He forwarded this to Iveco and got the answer that they are in the mean time aware of this problem and that they are working on a solution.

For the older Dailys there were aluminium wheels with an offset of 50mm available which would offer the space needed. Unfortunately Iveco changed the pitch circle of the lug bolts so that these wheels will no longer fit.
Had Iveco (6x125mm) used the measurements that VW/Mercedes uses (6x130mm) it would have made the deal more simple.
The other alternative would using 15mm spacer disks. up to now I haven't found any available.

As the winter is more or less over, unless as happened in the past there will be a meter of snow in April, there will be no need for chains this season any more.

Perhaps Iveco will have come up with a solution by next winter, what I don't really belive in. And if, I wouldn't be surprised if it was only for a upcoming facelift.

Regards
Chris
Edited by Iveco72461, Feb 14 2016, 03:33 PM.

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi!

Perhaps I've solved my snow chain issue.
Today I had new snow tires mounted. Due to an increase in price of 20% in the last two years and the fact that thh 235/65 were approx. 160 more I chose the standard 225/65 dimension.
As shown in my recent post the handbrake cable runs to close to the tire to leave enough clearance for the chain.

Changing the dimension to 225/65 I've gained approx. 8mm
Posted Image

This is what it looks like with a RUD chain (12mm links)
Posted Image

I think the main difference to the older models is the design of the handbrake cable.
Posted Image
The older model didn't have this metal spacer. The cable came right out of the bracket at a bend.
Other than that they are the same.
So to my way of thinking by changing the handbrake cables chains would probably even clear the cable with the 235/65 tires.
I'm going to try and order some handbrake cables for the older model and test it.
Considering the price it's no big risk as there some 15 on Ebay. Even at Iveco I only payed something like 30 per piece some years back.

Regards
Chris

Blackriver
No Avatar
[ * ]
I have a set of snow socks which I have use and they worked very well.
I bought them of Amazon.see picture attached

Iveco72461
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Blackriver
Mar 3 2018, 03:56 PM
I have a set of snow socks which I have use and they worked very well.
I bought them of Amazon.see picture attached
Ever tried those socks pulling a trailer uphill with 20cm of snow on the road? ;)

Spooky_b329
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Just a thought, can you get wheel spacers for the Daily? That would be a (relatively expensive) way of increasing the clearance.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Iveco Daily 2014 > Present · Next Topic »
Add Reply

These forums are free and rely upon the goodwill of members to help and assist others. Any donations will be gratefully received.